Lenten Fish Fry Ratings & Reviews

I have been to several Lenten fish fries at Catholic parishes, most in the Kansas City area. I found one (St. Agnes parish, Shawnee Mission, Kansas) that served excellent cornmeal breaded catfish. In the St. Louis area there is a parish (St. John’s parish, Smithton, Illinois) that serves a crisp cornmeal breaded cod using locally-famous Snuffy’s recipe that is worth a trip to Smithton. I am now on a quest to find delicious fish like these being served at Catholic parishes in the Denver area.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

St. James Catholic Parish

March 23, 2007

Knights of Columbus Fish Fry

St. James Parish Hall

1314 Newport, Denver, CO 80220
Cost: $7.00/adult, $4.00/child, $3.00/mac & cheese only
All Fridays of Lent, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
http://www.stjamesdenver.org/church/church_index.htm

Upon getting out of our cars we were greeted by the men in the back of the building who were frying the fish. They wanted us to eat a lot of it, and that was the plan...

On the menu was fried fish, baked fish, french fries, macaroni and cheese, and slaw. Two kinds of bread were available - one that looked like a whole grain type and the other was more like an Italian bread with herbs in it. Iced tea and lemonade were available, as well as beer and wine, which were free but donations were requested. The parish hall where they held the fry was very small and cramped with tables. We had to squeeze between chairs to make our way to the back of the room, where we found one of the only empty tables.

As soon as I took my first bite of fish, I knew this was going to be a good meal. The baked fish was tender and moist, but not undercooked at all. It was seasoned with salt and pepper, parsley, capers, and a few other herbs. It was wonderful. It didn't need any additional flavoring at all. The fried version was battered, again similar to Long John Silvers' style, and was cooked perfectly. It was nicely seasoned, the batter was crisp, the fish was moist and delicious.

I was thrilled to finally be served macaroni and cheese again. Nearly every fry had it last year, and I was missing it. St. James was serving up a very creamy version made with Velveeta. The macaroni was not overcooked at all. It was a perfect side to the fried fish. I would have liked more, but I didn't go back for seconds. The french fries were medium thickness and still had the potato skin on them, which I love. They were crisp and topped with a light dusting of seasoned salt. Usually I don't have a problem skipping over the french fries, just eating one or two. This time, I ate all that I was given. The slaw was not the typical white mayo variety, but rather was made with more vinegar and probably a little horseradish - it was tangy and a little spicy. It was very good and an nice alternative to the typical slaw available at most fries.

To top off this already successful fish fry, there a bake sale although sadly the baked goods were not homemade. But they were only asking for $1 per item, and they had a variety of things to choose from: cherry pie, apple pie, German chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, and carrot cake. By the time I got there, they were out of the cherry pie, and when I asked if they had more they said no but that they did have a french apple, and would I like for them to cut into that? Yes, yes I would. It was very good. I also got some tea with dessert and noticed that it was not just regular black tea, but had a subtle black current flavor. How nice.

I give this Lenten fish fry four out of five Ichthus.