Lenten Fish Fry Ratings & Reviews

I have been to several Lenten fish fries at Catholic parishes, most in the Kansas City area. I found one (St. Agnes parish, Shawnee Mission, Kansas) that served excellent cornmeal breaded catfish. In the St. Louis area there is a parish (St. John’s parish, Smithton, Illinois) that serves a crisp cornmeal breaded cod using locally-famous Snuffy’s recipe that is worth a trip to Smithton. I am now on a quest to find delicious fish like these being served at Catholic parishes in the Denver area.

Friday, March 16, 2007

St. Thomas More Catholic Church

March 9, 2007

Knights of Columbus Fish Fry

St. Thomas Moore Church Gym

8035 S. Quebec Street, Centennial, CO 80112
Cost: Adults $8.50, children under 12 $6.00, children under four are free
Take out is available
Feb. 23 - Mar. 30, 4:30 - 7:30 p.m.
http://www.stthomasmore.org/default.asp

The church gym was crowded with tables and families, but this fry was a bit smaller than some I've been to lately. We were greeted by the sight of a banquet table loaded with serve-yourself food, including four different varieties of fish, which seemed like an exciting prospect. For one price we got the fish, tater tots, baked potato with all the fixings, baked ziti, soup, cole slaw, and dessert. To drink there was lemonade, water, and tea. Wine, beer, and softdrinks were also available for $2.

We loaded up our plates, found a seat at a crowded table, and inspected our dinners. We had fried battered perch, a baked "Lake Victor" perch, fish sticks, and something that looked like a hush puppy. The battered fish was crispy, but not very hot and needed salt. It was also dry - quite dry. I had to eat it with my hands because I couldn't break off pieces with my fork. The baked fish was overcooked and also very dry despite resting in its juices. It had a salty flavor, but the dryness was overwhelming. The fish stick was also pretty dry and didn't have much flavor, but it was shaped like a shark so that was fun and I bet the kids who ate them didn't care anyway. Then came the hush puppies... or so I thought. I wasn't sure what I was eating. It was very moist and savory, lots of herbs and seasoning, almost overly seasoned. I took a few more bites. Though I still wasn't sure what it was exactly, even after eating two of them, this was the most flavorful item on the menu.
Indeed it did turn out to be fish; something they called "Rainbow Trout Treasures" (although not very much trout went into these treasures, mostly breading).

The second most flavorful item on the menu was the tater tots. These were just store-bought tater tots, but they were golden brown and delicious. A nice side to a fish stick shaped like a shark, I thought. The baked ziti was not over cooked, but was in just an average meatless tomoato sauce. It was nice to have it as a side however, and also as an option for vegetarians. The slaw was just your average store-bought slaw. It was fine, but nothing spectacular.

When first serving myself the soup, I wondered aloud if it was clam chowder or potato. A man in line (apparently for seconds) said, "It's supposed to be clam chowder." I took a bite and still was not convinced it was clam chowder. Two, three, four bites... finally as I had just about finished my entire bowl of soup, I got a small piece of clam on my spoon. Perhaps it had fallen by accident into the potato soup.

Dessert was included in the price of the meal, but there was only one option: store bought carrot cake. It was not bad, but I would have preferred the variety of a bake sale.

I give this Lenten fish fry two Ichthus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home