Lenten Fish Fry Ratings & Reviews

I have been to several Lenten fish fries at Catholic parishes, most in the Kansas City area. I found one (St. Agnes parish, Shawnee Mission, Kansas) that served excellent cornmeal breaded catfish. In the St. Louis area there is a parish (St. John’s parish, Smithton, Illinois) that serves a crisp cornmeal breaded cod using locally-famous Snuffy’s recipe that is worth a trip to Smithton. I am now on a quest to find delicious fish like these being served at Catholic parishes in the Denver area.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Sacred Heart of Mary Catholic Church

March 31, 2006

Lenten Fish Fry

Sacred Heart of Mary Catholic Church
6739 South Boulder Road, Boulder, CO
Cost: $5/person, $12.50/family
March 31 only
http://www.sacredheartofmary.org/

I was lucky enough to find out about this fish fry from a good friend who is also a paritioner at this church. This is a one-night-only fish fry event and the least expensive lenten dinner so far! The menu included fried fish, grilled cheese sandwiches, french fries, and cole slaw. To drink there was coffee, lemonade, or water. Condiments included ketchup and tartar sauce.

This is a no frills fish fry, and you weren't finding any baked fish here. But the fried fish was the best I've had so far this lent! It was battered white fish (probably cod), but the batter had a good savory flavor and the fish inside was very moist. The grilled cheese sandwhiches were excellent...really. They were thick and cheesy on crisp, buttery bread. I had no idea grilled cheese sandwhiches at a fish fry could be so good. The french fries were just ordinary thick cut fries, nothing to write home about. The cole slaw, however, was home made to perfection. It was mostly vinegar with a slight amount of mayonnaise - I wanted seconds and I don't normally care for cole slaw. The downside of this dinner? There was no dessert!

This was a smaller fish fry than most, and most of the people there were either elderly or parents with young children. There were only maybe ten tables set up, and they were all full. As we prepared our plates for dinner, we wondered where we might sit. However, just at the right time, a section of table opened up and we took our seats. Normally part of my score includes not only the food at the fish fry, but also the atmosphere and whether or not I feel welcomed. Well this week, I'm biased on those things; since my friend and Sacred Heart paritioner joined us, of course I felt very welcomed and was introduced to several paritioners. However, I have to say that the food stands up for itself this week. Except they really should have had a bake sale.

I give this Lenten fish fry four out of five Ichthus.




2 Comments:

  • At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eаch time i uѕed to гead smaller cοntent which as well clear their motіѵe, аnd thаt is also haρpening ωith this
    pіeсe of writing which I am reading аt this
    timе.

    Review my weblog www.Sfgate.com

     
  • At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have had my Еco-fгiendlу smoke fог
    5 months nοw аnd my own bаttery continueѕ to be going ѕtrong!
    Thanks

    my homepage http://www.fc1.vortext.org/IlahbChisholmhg

     

Post a Comment

<< Home